Before we move on to the reviews of the Tayota Supra car, I will try to answer the following questions:
What is the price of a 2019 Toyota Supra?
as shown $55,685
The new car in UK is on sale now, with prices starting from £52,695, with the range-topping A90 Edition model priced at £56,945
How fast is a 2019 Toyota Supra?
The 2020 Toyota Supra is powered by BMW’s 3.0-liter turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine. Under the hood of the Toyota Supra, it produces 340 hp. and 500 Nm – exactly 5 forces and 5 newton meters less than in the BMW Z4. The engine is combined exclusively with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
The power plant of the new Toyota Supra is capable of a top speed of 250 km / h (electronically limited), and accelerates to the first hundred in 4.3 seconds.
Is the new Toyota Supra a BMW?
Toyota Supra borrowed the Z4 platform from the German BMW coupe, which gives the models similarities. Thanks to the Germans, the Japanese brand has significantly saved time and money on the production of a new sports car.
And now about the most interesting: “What was borrowed from the BMW Z4?” Firstly, the windshield, which migrated from the co-platform practically unchanged. Secondly, the sporty backward slope and compact dimensions. While Toyota sought to maintain a coupé design with a distinct sporty character, the BMW design is distinguished by a more luxurious appearance, rich equipment and expensive materials.
Fans of originality and extravagance will be somewhat disappointed with the interior of the Japanese sports car. The prototype of the exterior is the new BMW Z4 2018 and, sitting in the Toyota Supra, there is a feeling of some deja vu. Such shameless copying outrages fans of the exclusive, but from the point of view of practicality and convenience, it is fully justified.
Fans of Japanese sports cars have long awaited the revival of the superstar – the legendary Toyota Supra in the fifth generation. Rumors about this have excited motorists for more than two years, and recently in Detroit, the brand presented a long-awaited novelty – Toyota Supra A90.
And as soon as the appearance of the new car was declassified, they immediately began to compare it with the soplatform model – BMW Z4. Some call Toyota “a BMW in a sports body kit”, others consider the new Japanese sports car to be completely different from its brother. Let’s look at it in order and consider the Toyota Supra 2019-2020 from all angles, so as not to be accused of plagiarism unfounded.
Toyota Supra 2019 – Exterior
Designers went out of their way to make the new Toyota look unusual. Indeed, the exterior of the sports car has become more stylish, with an Italian accent. If you look closely and tediously, you can recognize the previous generation – the body is still designed for 2 seats, and the wheelbase is 2,470 mm. This is where design from the past ends, and in all other respects the Supra 2019-2020 is a completely new vehicle.
The design of the 5th generation Toyota Supra turned out to be daring and extravagant – everything, like a recipe for sports cars, not intended for the general public. The novelty immediately attracts attention on the road.
- The new Toyota Supra is offered in a wide range of vibrant colors: daring red, yellow, blue, white, black, silver.
- The sports car has received new optics with LED filling, long running lights and rear feet on diodes.
- The designers abandoned the traditional grille – they replaced it with three mesh inserts that took over the tasks of aerodynamic rails.
- The sleek, ergonomic shape adds dynamism and assertiveness to the sports car.
- Healthy aggressiveness and brutality can be seen in the original stampings of the body, in massive fenders, in large sports doors, like carved rims.
- The side mirrors have an extended viewing angle. The manufacturer also added an LED electric adjustment drive, a repeater of turns, and on request it will be possible to add heating, automatic folding.
- To improve the aerodynamic properties of the sports car, the manufacturer added holes on the sides of the hood, they divert the air flow directly from the wheels.
Toyota Supra 2019 – Interior
Fans of originality and extravagance will be somewhat disappointed with the interior of the Japanese sports car. The prototype of the exterior is the new BMW Z4 2018 and, sitting in the Toyota Supra, there is a feeling of some deja vu. Such shameless copying outrages fans of the exclusive, but from the point of view of practicality and convenience, it is fully justified. The salon turned out to be friendly and very comfortable.
Let’s compare the interior of Toyota Supra 2019-2020 and BMW Z4:
- The front panel is almost 100% borrowed. Above is a 12.3-inch display for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay multimedia.
- The same goes for the central tunnel, it looks very much like a German car. Outright plagiarism betrays the design of the transmission lever and the arrangement of the elements.
- If you do not pay attention to these “design wars” “Toyota” and BMW, then the interior arrangement of the cabin is quite comfortable. There are wireless chargers, a USB port, a selector for multimedia control, handbrake buttons, 12V sockets, suspension control regulators.
The salon is designed for two – a driver and a passenger. They are provided with comfortable sports seats with a high, ergonomic backrest that is easily adjustable.
The driver’s seat is not unique. Digital tidy is available even in a standard configuration, instrument settings and output of the necessary indicators are made at the request of the driver.
What the designers did not have time or did not want to copy from the BMW Z4? The steering wheel remains original, in the best traditions of Toyota – with three spokes and function buttons. But in principle, you forget about the origin of the interior “borrowed” from the Germans when you sit down in a chair and feel the Japanese comfort, brought to perfection.
Toyota Supra borrowed the Z4 platform from the German BMW coupe, which gives the models similarities. Thanks to the Germans, the Japanese brand has significantly saved time and money on the production of a new sports car. When developing new items, carbon fiber was used, which made it possible to reduce the weight of the machine and improve its dynamic characteristics.
The new sports car is equipped with adaptive dampers and improved springs, which expand the functionality of the suspension. To the high-speed modes, two more settings were added for street style and quiet driving: Sport and Normal. Vehicle safety has been improved with improved suspension mounts and changes to the arm. The elements are made of aluminum, but the stabilizer is made of steel.
The engine of the new coupe is located in the front, the drive is to the wheels at the rear, thanks to this, the developers managed to ensure optimal weight distribution along the axles in a 50/50 ratio.
- Rear wheel drive
- Acceleration to 100 km / h in 4.3 seconds
- Engine turbocharged 6-cylinder
- Volume, l 3.0
- Power, h.p. 340
- Torque, Nm 500
- Brembo brakes
- Maximum speed, km / h 250
Fans of high-speed driving will definitely appreciate the rear differential, which transfers 100% of the traction to one of the rear wheels. This guarantees excellent cornering handling.
Toyota Supra – Safety and comfort
In terms of car safety, the manufacturer, as expected, showed a Japanese character. Safety comes first, which is why the model is equipped with:
- automatic switching of high beam;
- a system for recognizing road signs and pedestrians;
- the function of tracking the markings on the road;
- frontal collision avoidance option;
- automatic braking in an emergency.
For comfortable and safe travel, the brand has provided a number of useful options in Supra 2019–2020:
- curtains and airbags;
- easy keyless access;
- intelligent climate control;
- two mirrors: digital smart, auto-dimming;
- weather sensors;
- audio for 12 speakers;
- synchronization of any gadgets with the display.
Yes, the 2019-2020 Toyota Supra obviously cannot boast of originality. But if we close our eyes to this and approach the assessment of the new sports car impartially, we can conclude that the novelty is worthy of attention.